Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 5 : Namche to Tengboche

Day 5 : 12/05/2010
Had some great feeling when I woke up in the morning with all the headaches washed away. We were all set to depart from the village of Namche Bazaar which was a famous trading center between Tibet and Nepal, and head to the holy village of Tengboche. This has long been the religious centre for all inhabitants of the Solu Khumbu area. There were numerous shrines and a beautiful monastery that sits at 3870 meters. It was a long walk with no steep climbs lasted for two and a half hours till 'Phungi Thanga', the place we were supposed to have our lunch. We (`Fab 5`) reached 'Phungi Thanga' @ 11AM, andrest of the team joined us at noon. My appetite had really diminished over the past four days, I was not consuming much food, par below my standards. That was actually showing up after an hour or so in the uphill treks, feet hardly moving, and body not supporting. To overcome that, and to avoid burning of muscles, I had to much rely on Power bars (Courtesy:Kanchuki and Abhishek) and move on.



Menu for the lunch : Sweet Aloo curry and Thick Chapathis. I somehow managed to eat one Chapathi, and as the remaining folks were happily having their lunch. God only knew how could they eat such stuff, over and over.

All set to hike uphill to Tengboche, which was at an altitude of 3880M after a fifteen minute post lunch break. As we trekked uphill, met a lady from Denmark who was struggling to put her step forward. We moved on after rendering some support to her. We filled the water bottles from the stream and added some purifier drops. After reaching halfway as all my energy reserves inside the body have dried up, and so did I take one long break and enjoyed the sight of peaks on the right, Thamserku, Kantega, Ama Dablam, Mt. Everest and Nuptse. Every peak was unique in itself, looked pretty gorgeous and covered with ice in entirety.


Reached holy Tengboche peak @ half past 3, I was overwhelmed by the beautiful monastery with a beatiful mountain in is background. I enjoyed the closest view of Ama Dablam, while everyone else went inside the monastery. We regrouped at the peak and headed downhill to Debuche, 15-20 minutes downhill walk to the foot of the hill, with Dudh Koshi river running behind. On our way to the hotel `Ama Dablam Mountain View, I witnessed one of the mind-blowing patches you would ever see, path full of RhodoDendron trees in all possible colors (white, yellow, red,...), it was an awesome sight to behold. Two dark male horses were running up the hill with great pace was like an icing on the cake, we had to literally move aside to give them a way.

We dumped our backpacks in our allotted rooms, I washed my face and headed downstairs to gulp some Black Tea. Rooms were not that spacious, but decent enough. As I entered the dining hall, everyone burst into a laughter and said that my face was blushing/shining/whatever. I knew that they were pulling my leg. To embarrass me even more, Sachin told everybody that I'd applied `Fair n Lovely` on my face, which he had seen in my backpack the other day. I knew that this was all part of fun and I happened to be the puppet for that day :)

Dinner : Cuppa Noodles & Fried Rice. Kanchuki voiced her opinion that we must have A la Carte in our lunch n dinner, and Ali didn't seem to like the idea. I must say sorry to Kanchuki here I didn't second her opinion as I'd promised.

Into bed @ 9PM and tiring 5th day ends here.

4 comments:

  1. Actually the closest view of Ama Dablam is from Dingboche?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got the closest and the best view of Amadablam from the NangkarTshang Ri peak

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I think that's what is also called Dingboche Ri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you both are referring to the same.

    ReplyDelete